Project Cornerstone Asset Building Champions (ABC) Program
Log your volunteer reading and training hours here. You will need to register and create a username and password.
Upcoming events that we are excited about:
- Students, parents and staff on campus will now be able to give UPstander awards to any students, parents and staff. This will work the same way as the Landels ROARs. Winners will be announced during the Monday Assemblies.
- Selected 4th and 5th Graders will participate in an outreach program where they will read to students in classrooms without parent readers.
- 5th graders will take on leadership roles by announcing upcoming Project Cornerstone books during the Monday Assemblies.
- Lastly, keep your eyes peeled for School Wide Art Projects installed throughout the year on campus!
What is the Project Cornerstone ABC program?
The ABC Program is a literature based program addressing important issues including respect, tolerance, honesty, peaceful conflict resolution, taking a stand against bullying behaviors, and refusing to participate in gossip. Volunteers read specially selected books and lead discussions and activities that help teach valuable lessons related to these issues.
Create a common language and vocabulary about student respect and behavior expectations among all members of the school community — students, parents and caregivers, teachers and staff
Help students develop skills to handle physical, verbal, relational and digital bullying and to STAND UP if they see someone else being bullied
Increase the number of caring adults on campus so that all students feel that there is at least one adult they can turn to if they have a problem
Contribute to a positive school climate where every student feels valued and supported to achieve and thrive
How to get involved:
- Spending an ~40 minutes in your child's class can make a world of difference
- It's a great opportunity for Moms, Dads, Grandparents and Family Friends to support children in a meaningful way
- Training, books, discussion topics, and classroom activities provided
- Complete a Project Cornerstone/YMCA volunteer application
- Approximately 2 to 3 hours of time per month
- Attend monthly book training at Landels - 1 hour
- Prepare lesson at home (or with a friend) - 30 min to 1 hour
- Read to the class, discuss and do activity - 45 minutes
To become a volunteer or for more information, please contact Bridget, Arianna or May at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be a part of our team!
Training Schedule 2015-16
All meetings are held in the Staff Lounge *** 8:30am-9:30am ***
- Monday, Sept 14 Have You Filled A Bucket Today?
- Monday, Oct 5 Simon's Hook / The Recess Queen
- Tuesday, Nov 3 Say Something / One
- Monday, Dec 7 Mr. Peabody's Apples / Giraffes Can't Dance
- Monday, Feb 1 Nobody Knew What To Do / Today I Feel Silly And Other Moods That Make My Day
- Tuesday, Mar 1 The Empty Pot / May I Please Have a Cookie?
- Monday, April 4 One / One Smile
- Monday, May 2 The Recess Queen / The Little Engine That Could